Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Traditions!!

So as the holidays get closer I begin to think about all our traditions and memories we make each year. I never thought about all the things we do each year as being a tradition. But since we do it year after year, it's now considered a tradition.

I made a countdown calendar a few years back that the kids get so excited to see what activity they will be told to do for that day, such as todays was to make snowmen out of playdough. I've never heard my 7 year old son get so excited. So in my household we always seem to get upset when one of the children gets to do something and the other one doesn't (yes, a little mommy guilt their). So this year I decided that I'll wrap all our children books related to Christmas or Winter thinking I probably won't have enough to countdown to Christmas, to my surprise I did! (I worked in day care and with kids for about 10 years where I collected lots of children books). The funny part about it is that my kids are so much more interested in the books now that they just unwrapped them. So as an addition this year we have our calendar and a book to unwrap. Other activities we do are make and decorate cookies that we share with family at Christmas. Another thing that we've done the last few years is decoarate a Gingerbread House (a kit from either Walmart, Target, etc...). We also go to church Christmas Eve followed by supper at Panda Garden which is a tradition that goes back to being newlyweds. We also buy an orament each year with that year stamped on it. One thing that gets us excited for the new year is we write a time capsule (which we've only done the last 2 years), but it's so cute to see how the kids interests and likes have changed. All we do for it is answer a few questions of favorite snack, or movie or favorite toy, etc...


So my inquiry is what traditions or memories are you making this year?

Here are pictures of years past of our fun memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment