Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Asking for Grace

This morning as I was flipping thru my book "Whispers of Wisdom for Mothers of Preschoolers (a year of inspirational readings)" I found one titled Child of Grace, which I knew I had to share.

Kendra hauled Thom to a time-out corner, clasping him in an iron grip while he howled and kicked. Kendra looked at the clock. Not yet 9:00am. Days like these made her wish she had remained single.
A gorgeous baby with big blue eyes and a sideways smile, little Thom changed overnight after his second birthday. He methodically destroyed the house. His biting habit made it impossible for Kendra to take him to playgroups or to the church nursery.
This morning, Thom tried to flush Bob the cat down the toilet. Soppy and cold, Kendra and Thom now sat in the time-out corner until he finally quieted. Kendra wiped his runny nose-and Thom's rage erupted all over again.
Lord, can I give him away?
At the thought, her arms tightened around him. Though his diaper erupted with unspeakable odors and he buried his nasty nose in her neck, Kendra knew she would never, ever give Thom up. Instead, she held him close and sang to him.
In the Old Testemant, God's chosen people seemed anything but a holy nation. They threw endless tantrums and disgraced His name. Yet he remained faithful and even rejoiced over them.
Lord Jesus, I often come to You like an obstinate, dirty, smelly two-year-old yet You hold me on Your lap. Thank You for loving me, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment